Tuesday, July 31, 2007

she understood

hubby and i ran to the mall yesterday with the silent prince. we wanted to get a few things for vacation. hubby loves the store steve and barry's so we went there. sarah jessica parker of sex and the city fame has a new line of clothes there which are fabulous and downright inexpensive. (i'm wearing a new shirt and shorts right now that cost a little over $20 total.) the line is called bitten and you can check it out here.

her motto: fashion is not a luxury. i love it!

out of the steve and barry's i spotted a payless shoe and mentioned to hubby that since the kids have toes sticking out of their shoes perhaps we could find some end of the season shoes for them to wear while we're away.

we pushed the silent prince in the store in his new stroller (a three-wheeled number made by jeep) and searched the kids shoes only to discover that it is not yet the end of the summer according to the prices on the shoes. hubby (who had just bought a pair of sandles) was checking out the men's shoes when i noticed some girl's flip flops on an end cap. i was looking through the sizes to see if any would fit the princess kitty when i heard "no, no" behind me.

an elderly woman had snuck up on us and must have said hello to the silent prince when he grabbed the skin on her arm and started to squeeze and wasn't letting go.

i suppose there was too much stimulation in the payless and he was on overload. when this happens or when he gets frustrated because he wants something we won't give him he pinches or bites.

i pulled him away from her and did the only other thing i knew how to do: apologize, apologize, apologize.

she said over and over again that she was ok and that it was alright, but i was really worried that he had hurt her (he's certainly hurt me when he's done that.) and then the most amazing thing happened: she took my hand, looked straight into my eyes and told me her neice has a son with autism. i felt my eyes well up with tears; i really thought i might lose it right then and there.

she must have held my hand for 5 minutes in the middle of the payless. she told me how he sometimes did the same thing, but how much she loved him, how much her whole family loved him, and how special he was.

she told me the silent prince was a gift.

and she is right.

she was a gift too. who knew angels liked to shop at payless shoe source.

God's peace y'all

9 comments:

BostonPobble said...

drumroll for the mushy moment...

because you shop at payless, I knew angels shop there.

*sniff*

Unknown said...

God's tangible presence...

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, wow. This is awesome. I'm so glad you and your family encountered someone who understands. *hug*

And...what Pobble said.

Jayne said...

I was sent a link to this post by my friend Mata. Our Sam will soon be 15 and I've done my share of apologizing too. Those that matter understand, those that don't... oh well. :c) Hang in there. Things do eventually get better. Blessings to you and your family.

Rainbow dreams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rainbow dreams said...

what a beautiful story...amazing when total strangers touch us like that... came here via Jayne, enjoy your holiday... I'm so envious of the sarah jessica parker clothes...


sorry the deleted one was me... must remeber to check spellings before posting!

kristi said...

Okay, now I am crying. Thanks a lot! LOL!

seethroughfaith said...

God in action. I love this :)

also the caption "fashion is not a luxury."

CatNFiddle said...

Great. I'm weepy in the middle of my office. I really miss you and your mishpocha, dearie.

"and vivian followed."

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket