Friday, August 26, 2005

And Vivian Followed


I have always been in love with the story of King Arthur. Most likely as a result of the book "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

"Mists" tells the story of Camelot from the point of view of the women who played such a key role in this great story.

My two favorite characters are Morgan La Fey, the half sister of Arthur and in some tellings of the story, the mother of Mordred (also Arthur's son) who strikes the blow that kills Arthur.

My other favorite is Vivian, the Lady of the Lake, who gives Arthur the gift of Excalibur, Arthur's famous sword which is not necessarily the one that he pulls from the stone.

Why I love these women is because they represented the spiritual side of the story, even if it was often as pagans. So often spiritual women are portrayed as witches. Clearly, history and literature has had a difficult time with the concept of powerful, spiritual women.

I won't tell you where Vivian followed or who she followed... only that she followed.

And, that I'd like to go with her.

1 comment:

BostonPobble said...

Blessed be...

"and vivian followed."

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket